(because exclamation points make all the difference)
This week’s entry into VIDEO VAULT THURSDAY is, in my humble opinion, one of the best videos of all time!
Certainly the song itself is a great one - it’s got a driving beat and hit number one on the charts when it was first released.
The main riff was propulsive, instantiating itself in a battle of acoustic guitar against snare drum with fuzz guitar laced underneath and with vocal “ooh-ooohs” keeping that sense in full mind throughout.The other thing that it has going for it is that it pays homage to Windsor McKay who happens to be another favorite of mine.
The music video for “Runnin’”, directed by Jim Lenahan, featured animation, based on several episodes of the classic comic strip Little Nemo in Slumberland by Winsor McCay, featuring a drawing style reminiscent of McCay’s and showing Petty and a character who resembles Flip traveling through Slumberland.
I love Tom Petty. He has become a favorite of mine through the years, which I find somewhat ironic because I never thought much of him back in the late 70s and early 80s. There is just something about his body of work, so much great music! Awhile back I picked up a boxed set and I’ve never regretted because it is often blaring through my speakers.
This past December, Tom Petty was chosen as the artist to entertain at the Superbowl. He came out, did four songs and just wowed the crowd. As a bonus, here’s the same song performed live at the Superbowl:
No comments:
Post a Comment